Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Style Inspiration Series 2

Two posts in a day? Yea, well...there ain't much to do yet.

Today I visited the venue for 30 mins had lunch and then drove out to Schenectady, New York (I had to pick up some people).

So, I'm back in the room, (Half) watching Cash Cab so I figured, "why not put up a next post?".

My last post (i.e first ) on the subject of style inspiration I dealt with the Rat Pack / Clooney Crew Ocean's 11 look.
This one, I'll focus on a celebrity who I've been taking subtle (or maybe not so subtle) cues from for
almost 10 years.

Ladies & Gentlemen!

Pharrell Williams


Pharrell is my everyday style inspiration, pretty much.

I can't front. I don't model myself after him, literally, but I'd be lying if I said I dress nothing like him. The Pharrell outfit posted above, is pretty much my preferred day to day
look if I'm not working. Like a day off, going to see a movie, going out for drinks or a casual lunch.
Now, this is not hard for anyone to achieve, as most guys I know own New-Eras, Jeans, Sneakers and t-shirts. I've seen
so many trends for men come and go since I hit puberty, that it is easy to look like a tool by following them all blindly.
(Why are guys still wearing Puma racing Boots, Flared Denim & Ed Hardy?...no, seriously, why?)
Pharrell never followed the trends, instead, he heavily influenced many of them.





Pharrell has always been at the forefront by just being himself.
Just comfortable, understated confident style.

So, by modelling myself off of this guy, I guess I'm just a big poseur, right?

Well, in my own defence, I grew up in a West Indian house hold, had a group of friends whose racial diversity could rival the
United Nations, and had personal interests ranging from d.j to contemporary dance and basketball to skateboarding (& in-line skating...
yes, I was a fruit-booter. However, I learnt how to ollie & kick-flip, before I ever took up in-line.)
So, as I was maturing and building my own personal style, I felt like I could not decide on whether I was supposed to
dress like a rapper, a choreographer (read: Artist) or a skater.
Seeing Pharrell bring his diverse background into his public persona, gave me the confidence to do so as well.
He is always dressed for the occasion, understands fashion and style and has great taste. Not a bad person to take fashion
cues from at all.
Plus, I know I wasn't the only one paying attention.
However, more often than not, I try not to copy Home Boy.
Some things are best left up to celebrities.

Yesssuurrr!

I'll leave you with some more Pharrell...

*pause*


When I see you...

No comments:

Post a Comment