Monday, November 16, 2009

Style Inspiration Series 4


Shout out to HUF S.F!

It's funny how somethings that are at one time part of a counter culture movement can come to the very front of the culture it was turning away from. When skateboarding started in the 70s (as we know it now) it was viewed as an activity by burnt out stoner surfers to do when the waves weren't hitting. Fast forward more than 30 years and it is a culture that drives commerce and dominates mainstream fashion (too many brands to link too, just trust me) and media (ditto).

I remember back in High School, when I was heavy into "extreme sports", like in-line and skateboarding, some of my more melanin proficient friends told me I was acting "white". They didn't know I first tried skateboarding when I was 7, and my black cousin was the one who taught me how. It's funny how little they actually knew about me or skateboarding. Thanks to Paul "P-Rod" Rodriguez, Terry Kennedy, Pharrell Williams, Lupe Fiasco and countless others ( I see you Eric Koston, Daewon Song, Stevie Williams, Kareem Campbell, Ray Barbee, Christian Hosoi, Steve Cabalero & Chris Pastras et.al) skateboarding has always been accepted (mostly) by "non-whites". More so than the excitement of the sport, it's the style and fashion attributed to the sport that has been picked up upon in recent years. And there's no doubt that those guys I mentioned above have style . Shit, Chris Pastras is a spokeman for WeSC, Pharrell owns Ice Cream/BBC, P-Rod is the Michael Jordan of Skateboarding both in ability and exposure and Steve Cabalero has one of the most successful (read:popular) Signature Skate Shoes of all time. I hope this doesn't seem like too much of a digression, but I felt it could add some depth to the post, y'know, before I get to posting related photos that I found on the interwebs. Even though I could probably write an essay on the impact skateboard culture has on our mainstream pop culture...hmmm...nah, who has the time? (Maybe I should find the time...)

Stolen from the interwebs!!!!
Nike SBs are amongst some of the most coveted limited edition sneakers
---
Supra has smashed the market with their Skytops and NS (Non Skate) Collaborations, and mainstream clothing lines sponsor professional skateboarders.
---
Thank God I never listened to anyone in High School to tell me how I should be acting or dressing, or doing...or else I wouldn't have know who this guy was (it's Stevie Williams...) when I saw him at Supreme L.A. DGK All Day!!!
---
I never really let my affinity towards skateboard culture go. Instead I grew up, and found ways to keep it with me. Shout out to The Hundreds! Shit, I may even buy a board this summer and see if I can still kick-flip. (disclaimer: that is NOT me busting out the kickflip -heelflip?- on The Hundreds deck)...go visit www.theberrics.com if you need a daily skateboarding fix. Bangin'!!!

When I see you...


1 comment:

  1. Great post. I don't remember if I ever talked to you about this but I published an article parallel to your above observation during my undergrad studies. "A semiotic study on the Transworld Skateboarding magazine". I thought you might enjoy this.

    Abstract:
    Skateboarding has been a hallmark of adolescent experience in suburban America ever since its beginning in the 1950s. Skateboarding has become an underground subculture, providing the youth population a novel outlet for self-expression and independence. Transworld Skateboarding magazine displays the ideological characteristic of the skateboard movement through their unique populist syntext, distinctive signification system, and extensive textual convergence. However, while expressing adolescent resistance against homogeneity, the magazine also reflects the influence of popular culture on skateboarders. This idiosyncrasy of Transworld Skateboarding magazine reflects popular culture’s constant struggle between the need for hegemonic provision and resistance of mainstream conformity.

    Ryu

    ReplyDelete